Saturday, September 12, 2009

USCGC Eagle

For many cruising sailors and tourists, New London usually gets passed over as a destination. There are much more attractive harbors and towns in the region, and New London with it's train station and ferry terminals, is often just a transfer station used to get to somewhere else. For water rats like me however, this waterfront has a lot to offer. The ferries, tall ships, submarines, and fishing boats make this an appealing harbor. New London Harbor is industrial, but it is a true working seaport.
A sure sign of September in New London is the return of the Eagle. Often at sea for extended periods of time, the 295 foot bargue returns to a prodigal son's welcome this time of year. Since departing New London in April, she has sailed to such locales as Spain, Monaco, France, Charleston, and Halifax.
*
SOUNDBOUNDER: Horst Wessel (additional photos)

3 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Wow..... Love that Eagle... My hubby would absolutely love to see that ship... Thanks for sharing, Matthew.
Betsy

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with what you say about New London. I took a ferry out of New London once on a foggy day and took lots of shots. I loved the harbor. I'd love to see this ship. 295 feet is quite a big sailing vessel.

Anonymous said...

I visited Eagle in September 2009 in New London.In 2 days Eagle will visit Hamburg in my country. I am proud to have Eagle here. Photos watch on:
www.uscgc-eagle.blogspot.com