Thursday, April 9, 2009

Watercolor Lights

During many of my coastal explorations, I have stumbled upon an artist quietly at work. The paintings shown here however, were discovered via the internet. I was looking for some information on a particular lighthouse, when I happened to discover Al LaBanca's enjoyable American Lighthouse Art website that showcases his work. Lighthouses are his passion and he calls them the vanishing castles of America, because so many are abandoned and neglected. Al hopes his artwork will bring attention to theses castles and create an awareness that helps preserve them. Painting with watercolors most of his adult life, he made it his calling to paint lighthouses 15 years ago, upon retirement. He has painted lighthouses from all over the world, but the lights of the Sound have been more than just an artistic subject for him. As a resident of Darien for over 40 years, Al and his wife Joan have sailed Long Island Sound and relied upon these lights many times (especially during some of his overnight races). They are the classic example of beauty combining with function. American Lighthouse Art.com Connecticut: Lighthouses New York: Lighthouses Rhode Island: Lighthouses top painting:Execution Rocks Lighthouse middle: Black Rock (Fayerweather Light) bottom: Stratford Shoal Lighthouse (Middle Ground) paintings are courtesy of American Lighthouse Art New York Times: Execution Rocks Lighthouse Sold

5 comments:

Larry said...

Lighthouses are really nice to look at.The only one I eally rember checking out closely was one in Maine-I think it might have been called the Nubble or something like that.It was interesting and the area surrounding it was just as interesting.

Frank LaBanca said...

As one of Al's great nephews, and a follower of your blog, I find it exciting to see the intersection of some of my passions as well. Thanks for sharing. I know my uncle will appreciate it. BTW, the original paintings look absolutely fabulous!

Unknown said...

Posted one of my paintings of a lighthouse on the Maryland shore. it was for a friend with whose Grandfather I had visited the state park. You can blame yourself for my post, it brought back memories....

Mark Kreider said...

Always enjoying your blog!

Unknown said...

Larry,
I have been to the Portland and Scarborough lights in Maine, but never the Nubble near Kittery.

Frank,
Thanks for the kind words.

Great post Whitemist. I have a similar experience, that I relate to.

Thanks Mark!!!