Friday, April 24, 2009

That First Day

We have had a fair share of Spring-like days in the past several weeks, but last Saturday broke new ground. With the thermometer reaching into the 70's, it seemed as if everyone was outdoors. People were working in their gardens, children were flying kites, and shorts with a T-shirt didn't seem very out of place. West Beach at Hammonasset State Park was busy as well. I stopped by late in the afternoon, but there was still plenty of activity. The beach blankets were spread out and the sound of chatter filled the air that had been silent for the previous months. A few brave souls ran into the water, and a windsurfer made his way along the shoreline. There was a cool breeze off the water, but for the first time in many months, I could feel the heat of the sun on my back. The forecast for this week looks equally pleasant. Spring (not that fake 52 degree Spring) is really here. Hammonasset State Park SOUNDBOUNDER: Meigs Point CT Visit: Spring Bird Walks At Hammonasset Map

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It gets better this weekend!
And a quick response to your comment on my post. I have never thought that treatment plants were the problem (Health issues for people, absolutely), but I still feel the organics (minus the bacteria) make excellent proper sized food for the fish. Call it a give back for what we take (that cyclical thing i am into).

Anonymous said...

We may make it to the beach this weekend. It is going to hit 80F tomorrow in Gloucester. You will not see me in the water though!

The Hunter's Wife said...

I found you from the OBS. Our spring has been unlike most. From cold to warm to cold again. Hopefully we will see a change here. Everyone is ready to come out of hibernation.

Larry said...

I just wish it would stay spring for a while instead of jumping into summer.I shall be traveling north in order to extend the season.