Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"East Egg" Estate Demolished


"I spent my Saturday nights in New York, because those gleaming, dazzling parties of his were with me so vividly that I could still hear the music and the laughter, faint and incessant, from his garden, and the cars going up and down his driveway. One night I did hear a material car there, and saw its lights stop at his front steps. But I didn't investigate. Probably it was some final guest who had been away at the end of the earth and didn't know that the party was over."
F.Scott Fitzgerald; The Great Gatsby

Mansions of the Gilded Age: Lands End, Sands Point Demolished
Old Long Island: The End of Lands End
Gothamist: Faux Gatsby Mansion Faces Demolition
photo credit:  Gary Lawrance; Mansions Of The Gilded Age  

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a beautiful building with memories and stories of the past, will be gone forever.

Thank you for the picture and the quote, they give me lasting impression of the place.