Wednesday, September 9, 2009

September

SEPTEMBER From dewy lanes at morning
The grapes' sweet odors rise At noon the roads all flutter With yellow butterflies By all these lovely tokens September days are here With summer's best of weather And autumn's best of cheer But none of all this beauty Which floods the earth and air Is unto me the secret Which makes September fair.
Helen Hunt Jackson (1830-1885)
SEPTEMBER: Quotations
Poem Hunter: Complete Poem
Wikipedia: Helen Hunt Jackson
photos: West Cove, Noank, September 2009

3 comments:

kate said...

"With summer's best of weather..." SO true! And with all the tourists gone it's the best time to go on vacation! Happy fall! -kate

Canoez said...

September just seemed to sneak up on us this year. It doesn't seem that we had much more than a week or two of real summer weather this year, does it?

Unknown said...

Canoez,
I think the continous rain in June screwed all of us up for the rest of the season.

Kate,
I agree! In some ways I get sad that summer is nearly over, but I also find September and October to be my favorite months.