Thursday, December 3, 2009

Rings End Bridge In Darien



The western approach to Long Neck Point crosses Gorham Pond and the remains of a grist mill dam.  As early as 1708, a mill stood here before eventually being destroyed by fire in the early 20th century. The Rings End Bridge (aka Gorham's Pond Bridge) was constructed in the 1920's. The stonework and arches make this one of the more attractive bridges I have seen.
The bridge aside, this photo interests me because it captures that brief window in November when the trees and sky have turned gray, yet the weeds and grass in the foreground are holding on to their autumn color. It reminds me of those images that add color to one item in a black & white photograph.


5 comments:

Brenda's Arizona said...

Matthew, it would look better with a cactus in it.

Just kidding - the autumn colors in the grass is such a contrast! Great!

Jeannette StG said...

Before I read your text, it was the color of the grass that attracted me to this pic - great shot, Matthew!

Unknown said...

Now for the dirt most times this pond is dirty, I mean as in sewage dirty. The flow of this pond closes the beach at Pear tree Point.
Then a strange thing happens, the Darien HD investigates and suddenly there is trace chlorine coming out of the pond. Some one doesn't want interference.

Unknown said...

Brenda and Jeannette,
It almost looks fake or doctored to me

Whitemist,
I just read about this today in the Darien Times. I'll post the link below the text.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a cool bridge!