Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sabino

One of the great things about the Mystic area is the large number of vintage boats that ply the waters. The Sabino is one of the last wooden, coal-fired, steamboats still in operation. Built in Maine in 1908, she she served as a passenger excursion boat along the Damariscotta and Kennebec Rivers. Acquired by Mystic Seaport in 1973, she underwent a five year restoration and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1993. She is on display at Mystic Seaport and is available for charters and excursions. This photo caught her winding her way down the Mystic River recently just north of Morgan Point. Mystic Seaport: Sabino National Park Service

5 comments:

Bill said...

I took a ride on that boat a number of years ago...spent the entire time in the engine room.

will said...

there was a move afoot 20 or so years ago in my old digs of newburyport mass to "get sabino back." evidently, sabino steamed there once years ago

Mark Kreider said...

Another elegant lady saved by thinking people.

Larry said...

My wife just walked into the room and commented that she liked the photo and the boat.

Unknown said...

Bill,
I have never been aboard.

Will,
I think I recall reading that somewhere.

Mark,
Agreed!!

Larry,
You know I value your wifes opinion much more than yours :)