Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bright Sky, Big Erratics




I have a love-hate relationship with rocks. As they say on Facebook...."it's complicated"
Aboard Carina, I don't want to see them, yet I find myself thinking of them all the time. And when I don't see them, it only makes things worse: I know they are out there lurking just beneath the surface, ready to confront my keel when I least expect it.  Big rocks don't like me, and I don't like them. Even worse, if I were to run into them, I know I'll never win.
But once ashore, I can never stay angry for very long. I suppress the destructive, bad times and become seduced again by their polish and form. I take all sorts of pictures and send them to my friends......trying to convince everyone, including myself, things will be different from now on.

While glacial erratics are found throughout Long Island Sound, they are especially abundant along the eastern  portion of the Suffolk County shoreline. Walking the beaches of Wildwood, Wading River, and Horton Point  provides a crash-course in the geological history of North America. 
They are very pleasing to look at........  from shore.

Garvies Pt Museum: Geology of Long Island
Hofstra University: L.I. Geology
The Outer Lands: A Natural History Guide (Cape Cod to Long Island)

4 comments:

Kierran Broatch said...

Great post & photos. Those erractics also make for excellent striped bass habitat!

Bursledon Blogger said...

Rocks, hate em,love em, it's a fine balance.

According to a local Dorset Artist

http://www.stonebalancing.com/

Unknown said...

Since I've never been hurt by rocks, I love 'em for their shape, surface and solidity. This post speaks of your sensitivity. You never have to apologize for your feelings -as you indicated, they come and go:)

Ken Mac said...

downright paleolithic