Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Shades Of September



Have you ever looked at a recent photograph of yourself and thought "Wow, time is really piling up"? You don't notice the changes day-to-day, but then a moment arrives when it is the first thing you see. You can't quite put your finger on the details of what is different, but you know it is there.
When I look at these photos of Quiambog Cove, autumn is the first thing I see. There is no fall foliage or long shadows to suggest a later date, but I can see it nonetheless. While it may have been early August with temperatures near 90, the sun was slightly lower, the grass was a different green, and the air didn't smell the same. The landscape wasn't yet dying, but it was no longer growing. 
The past few days have brought cooler temperatures with high winds to Long Island Sound. It has been an early taste of fall without the subtleties in the pictures above. Cold mornings, northeast winds, and a stormfront lingering for 3 days,  all provide a hint of what lay ahead in the coming months.
But summer doesn't end here. Some of my best times afloat have been in the months of September and October. The humidity and fog are often gone, and so are the crowds. Places I avoid in the summer, become accesible again. The fishing is better, and the sailing is too. If given a choice between August and September, I will choose September every time.
Despite all this, there is always a part of me that hates to see August come to an end. Maybe it is some internal clock left over from my days in school. Maybe it is the Halloween items that start appearing in stores, and the advertisements warning me to gear up for winter.
But I really think it has more to do with my outlook than anything else. When September arrives, I appreciate the return of fall for what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. In the days of August however, I always waste too many hours preoccupied with the passing of time. 

Quiambog Cove: Map

6 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

Nice thoughtful post.
I've taken some of my best 'swims' in September - but I miss the longer days!
When the days are shorter I tend to hibernate.

kate said...

I don't know about you but I'm loving this weather we're having! Bring on fall! I'm done with 90 degrees and humidity :) plus the light is so much crisper, there's nothing like fall in New England! and you're right about the tourists being gone...

Baydog said...

I look at recent pictures of me and think, Are there really that many wrinkles?

I love fall weather, but the end of summer has always been a bummer with me!

Cindy said...

I love the two photos. I like the light which warms the colors a bit. I'm not ready for summer to end - start of school, but I am ready for some cooler weather and the two go together.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I have very weak wifi aboard the boat, and leaving comments has been a problem this summer.

Here's to a long and mild autumn.!!!

Lincoln AFT said...

Thanks foor this