Friday, January 22, 2010

Rye Town Park Centennial





Whenever I hear the name Rye Town Park, I always have to think for a moment. It always takes me a few seconds to remember that Rye Town Park is the official name of Oakland Beach. I have always had difficulty with alternate or changed names:  I still refer to the Met Life Building as the Pan Am Building, and the Patriots play at Foxboro, not Gillette Stadium. Houses still carry the last name of  the owners who lived there 25 years ago, but have long sinced moved on.
Rye Town Park however, is a name that has been around a long time; certainly longer than I have. In 2009 the park celebrated it's 100th birthday, and continues to be one of the nicest town parks along this stretch of Long Island Sound. During our recent January thaw, I found her looking much like she did in an early 20th century postcard.

Rye Historical Society: Walking Tour Script
Rye Patch: New Dog Running Area At Oakland Beach
Painting Rye: Crescent Of Rocks
Map
photo credit: Penny Postcards (top)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It is very picturesque!
i will have to visit it sometime!

Bethany said...

I know what you mean about names.
Rye Town Park is kind of a funky name. But Oakland Beach sounds better. Though at first I thought you were talking about the crappy little beach in Warwick, RI with the same name!
I love that you visit these beach places in the winter.
Makes me feel like I should take a drive to the coast.

Lisa said...

The building looks very modern to be 100 years old.

I posted a slide show of some beautiful water sceneries (I do it the best way I know, borrowing other people's words and using music). Come over when you get a chance.

Unknown said...

OG,
That is known as Spanish Revival, which was popular around the turn of the 20th century.

Bethany,
I was under the impression you were near the coast. I can only imagine what else I have incorrectly assumed about you.;)

Whitemist,
It is a nice place. Easy to get to. Just south of Playland